What is Acne?
Acne is actually a skin disorder that results from the action of hormones. The action of hormones on the sebaceous glands of the skin cause plugged pores (white heads and back heads). It also causes outbreaks of nodules and cysts which are commonly known as pimples. Pimples can occur on many parts of the body, including the neck, face, chest, shoulders, back and upper arms. Rarely can they be found on other parts of the human body. Acne is a chronic skin disease that is extremely common. Acne is something that troubles most teenagers. But the truth is that acne is hardly restricted by age; people in their 20’s get them, in fact people in their 40’s also can get acne! The American Academy of Dermatology has published a report that says that acne is the most common skin disease in the United States. Though it is definitely not a life- threatening disease, acne can cause emotional distress and even disfiguration, leading to serious and permanent scars. Common acne is commonly known as Acne Vulgaris. It can affect a person in any of its forms, from very mild to extremely severe.
Causes of Acne
To know how to get rid of acne, one must understand what the causes for their development are. The causes of acne are mentioned below:
- Wrong eating habits
- No proper balance in meal times maintained
- Too much starch in meals (white foods such as flour, bread, potatoes, sugar, etc.)
- Eating too much fried foods laden with fats like oil and butter
- Chronic constipation which leads to bowels not moving at proper times. This leads to waste matter in the body not getting eliminated and the effects showing up on the skin as acne
- Little or no exercise
Home treatments for acne
- Vitamin treatment for acne: Vitamin A and Niacin are two vitamins that are known to treat acne. Vitamin treatment for acne should consist of the affected person taking 50,000 units (international) of Vitamin A thrice a day and 100 mg of Niacin thrice a day. Apart from this, 400 mg of Vitamin E is also recommended to be taken once a day. This therapy should be continued for a month for best results. Another thing that works is increasing the intake of food items which contain vitamins. Kale and spinach are vegetables that have a considerable content of Niacin in them and eating these as part of the daily diet is a good idea. Other sources where one can get Niacin are broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms and celery. The easiest way to incorporate such food items in the diet is by preparing a fresh salad. Adding a portion of lean meats to the salad will not only make sure that there is protein in the meal, but the fact that white meat also contains Niacin will also serve the purpose well. Vitamin A can be incorporated into the daily diet by eating liver, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe and carrots. A great way to eat liver is by eating it as a sandwich spread by blending it with olive oil, peeper and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Zinc treatment for acne: Another popular of the natural remedies of acne is the zinc therapy. Zinc has been known to produce dramatic results in acne treatment around the world. Research is still on as to how zinc can be utilized successfully in curing this chronic skin disease. The recommended dosage is 50 mg of zinc thrice a day. Finding zinc will not pose a problem since it is available in both capsule and tablet form. The tablet form is known as Zinfet 200 mg. Thus, taking a quarter of it will ensure that the affected person has taken in 50 mg of zinc. In capsule form it is called Ulseal 220 mg. Breaking the capsule and taking about one- fourth of the contents inside for a single dose is enough. This should continue for a period of about a month or till the time noticeable improvements in the skin is found. The dosage should then be reduced to 25 mg daily. However, it would be a good idea to consult a physician before starting to take zinc supplements. One can increase the content of zinc in the daily diet though. Cashew nuts, pine nuts, pecan nuts and wheat germ are rich sources of wheat germ. A delicious and simple way to include these natural food items in one’s daily meals is to blend them all together and store it in a container. The mixture can be sprinkled on salads whenever one wants.
- Orange peel treatment for acne: This is a remedy that has a high success rate. For this, all that one has to do is pound orange peels in a simple mortal and pestle with a little water and apply on the acne- affected areas of the skin. Of course, it is important to make sure that the mortal and pestle is clean. The reason why orange peels are effective is because of their slightly acidic nature which helps cleanse the skin off the excessive sebum. Making a face scrub using orange peels and gram flour and rubbing it into the skin is a good remedy as well. For this, one has to dry a few orange peels in the sun and grind them with a light hand to make a coarse powder. Now this powder has to be mixed with the same amount of gram flour and then water should be added in order to get a thin paste. Carrot or tomato juice can also be used instead of water. Now this paste has to be massaged lightly into the skin and kept on for about 5 minutes. It should then be washed off with lukewarm water.
- Lemon treatment for acne: Applying freshly squeezed juice also works wonders for many people. This should be done regularly to deliver beneficial results. The reason why lemon juice is effective is because it is not only acidic, but also because it a rich source of Vitamin C. For people who have very sensitive skin, diluting the lemon juice with a little bit of water before putting it on the skin is a wonderful idea. Also, fresh mint juice may also be used for the purpose. This treatment is great for blackheads as well.
- Garlic treatment for acne: This is a popular tried- and- tested contender for natural remedies of acne. Rubbing raw garlic on the skin several times in a day will successfully cure the toughest pimples. Garlic cleanses the skin of boils, pimples and spots with its purifying action. To keep acne at bay, one can eat 3 seeds of raw garlic early in the morning on an empty stomach. Not only will it cure skin troubles, it will also help in digestion and prevent stomach problems. Garlic is actually a good source of Allicin which is an antibiotic agent occurring naturally and which helps in the prevention of acne. For people who have very sensitive skin, diluting the raw garlic juice with a little yogurt is a wonderful idea. Yogurt is a natural moisturizer which does not make the skin oily.
- Coriander+ Mint Juice treatment for acne: Another home remedy for curing acne is by mixing a little coriander juice, mint juice and a little turmeric powder together and applying it on the face and neck. Washing it off thoroughly after 5 minutes is essential. This should preferably be done before hitting the bed at night. Also, one can use coriander juice or mint juice separately as well.
- Fenugreek treatment for acne: This is another wonderful way of getting rid of acne and keeping it at bay. For this, fenugreek leaves have to be crushed and made into a paste with a little water. The paste should then be applied thinly on the skin all over the face and neck before going to bed at night. In the morning, it should be washed off with lukewarm water. This is good for blackheads as well.
- Cucumber treatment for acne: Cucumber is a wonderful fruit and it has special benefits for acne- prone skin as well. Cucumber should be grated and the slices have to be put on the skin all over the face and neck. This should be kept on for 20 minutes. One can also us a mortal and pestle to make a sort of paste with cucumber slices. This treatment is great for the overall complexion as well. Using it regularly prevents the occurrence of acne and blackheads.
- Face packs for acne: If you want to know how to get rid of acne, you cannot ignore face packs! There are a number of face packs that can be made at home to get rid of and prevent pimples. Fuller’s earth mixed with a small amount of apple cider vinegar is a popular remedy. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar breaks down the oil sebums in the skin and the fuller’s earth works by absorbing all of it. This reduces the level of sebum in the skin and keeps acne at bay. Using this face pack is highly recommended at least once a week for deep cleansing the skin. A great way to intensify the benefits of this face pack (and any other face pack for that matter!) is to steam the face before application. If one does not have the time to do that, a hot shower is good enough. This does nothing other than open up the pores and allowing the ingredients of the pack to go deep into the skin.
- There is really nothing better and simpler than drinking lots of water as a cure for acne. Water flushes out the toxins in the body and helps cleanse the system from inside. This keeps acne at bay.
- Style with your hair as much as you want but make sure that it’s off your face! Also don’t constantly rub your skin with your hands. Both hair and hands contain oil and dirt. Putting these on your skin only makes acne want to appear. Keep the face irritation- free as much as you can.
- Pinching and popping your pimples is totally unforgivable if you are someone who wants to get rid of them. It is a misconception that popping pimples and taking the pus out of them will cure them. It definitely will not! What it will do is cause long- term damages to the skin that are often irrevocable and leave scars.
- Change bedding and pillow cases everyday to keep the secreting oils away from the skin.
- Use natural body care products and make- up as far as possible.
- Use a face wash or soap for the skin specifically meant for acne- prone skin.
- By the way, you can eat as much chocolate as you can! They don’t cause acne!