If you look at the suffering of an asthma patient, it won’t take long for you to realize that it is a condition that affects breathing.
This condition is brought about by the inflammation of the bronchial tubes, the passages for air in your lungs.
The basic symptom of this chronic lung condition is the wheezing that could be either mild or severe, sometimes comes along with coughing.
If you get symptoms of this disorder you must visit a doctor.
Though this is not a condition that could be self treated there are certain natural remedies that have the potential to bring you relief.
- Buteyko breathing is a technique that depends on shallow breathing which will increase blood carbon dioxide levels. Higher carbon dioxide levels is believed to be able to relax the swollen muscles in the air way and bring relief to the patient.
- One of the causes for the inflammation of the air passages in lungs is the presence of arachidonic acid which is a fatty acid present in some of the foods such as meat, shell fish and egg yolk. Eating less of these foods will make less of this fatty acid present in the body resulting less likelihood of getting asthma.
- Many studies conducted by various research groups have shown that adding lots of green vegetables and fruits in your diet is able to reduce the incidence of asthma considerably. Tomato is also one such food item. Apples are believed to be able to reduce the risk of getting asthma by a good margin.
- Butterbur a shrub that grows in Europe is found to have good healing effects on asthma. The substances that bring about relief are believed to be petasin and isopetasin. These are able to bring about relief for asthma patients with their ability to contain muscle spasms. Also they have anti inflammatory effects.
- Research has found that bromelain; a substance extracted from pineapple is also able to bring relief to asthma patients through its ability to reduce inflammation. However, those who are allergic to pineapple should not try this remedy.
- Boswellia, an herb used in Indian ayurvedic medicine is able to prevent the formation of a compound called leukotreanes. This particular compound when formed in tissues of lungs is able to reduce air passage by narrowing the vessels that carry air. Prevention of its presence will prevent asthma.
There could be many more natural remedies for asthma.
These are some of the tested and proven methods.